Verizon’s annual data breach investigation report (DBIR) released their report for 2021. A total of 29,207 quality incidents were reviewed, of which 5,258 were confirmed breaches.
Highlights that everyone should be aware of are:
- Social engineer leads the statics on attempts and successful attempts of the data breach. Phishing attacks increased by 11 percent and 85 percent of breaches involved a human element.
- The financial impact of a data breach range from $826 to $650,587, with a median cost of $21,659.
- Web applications remain a high target for threat actors, with an 80% breach among hacking vectors.
- The three biggest industries affected by data breaches are Finance/Insurance, Healthcare, and Public Administrations. The most common flaws for these industries are:
- Repeated credential and ransomware attacks
- Human error
- Social engineer
We urge you to continue to be prompt with changing your passwords and be cautious with how you share your information.
Reference link: https://verizon.com/dbir/